Monday, November 30, 2009

Let Christmas Come

I have my Christmas tree up!  I didn't put one up last year due to the fact that I didn't have any of my sons here to retrieve the tree and ornaments from the attic.  (I am banned from attics, but that is a different story.)  Also, we were going to be gone for most of December and it seemed like a whole lot of trouble for MY few days of enjoyment.  Anyhoo, I missed it too much to skip another year, also, I have a new grandbaby who will most likely be by the house at least once before Christmas!   Photo ops!   I am going to hang up the stockings-15 this year!  I hope our mantel is long enough!  I guess I'll have to pin the dogs' and cat's stockings to their owner's stockings, which brings it up to 18.  Then, my decorating will officially be finished for this year.

I love the Christmas season, most of all for the joy of knowing Whose birth I celebrate at this time.  As a child, of course, it was all about the toys and other presents, but now, I am aware of the sacrifice Jesus made to come to earth as a human baby, to grow up as a young man, and to make the decision to go through the horrors of the crucifixion.  Although Easter is the ultimate high point of the Christian year, His resurrection fulfilling the prophecies of the Messiah, the fact of His birth in a stable moves me, especially this year.  Maybe it was hearing the first cry of our newest grandchild, and the joy that brought to all of us waiting.   Whatever caused it, I am again thankful for the Savior.


1 comment:

Snooty Primadona said...

When you think about it, it really does bring it all home, doesn't it?

Every time I start gritching about what I need or don't have, I stop & force myself to list all the things I'm thankful for off the top of my head. It does help to bring clarity to what's really going on around me. As Americans, we have a tremendous amount to be thankful for. I know I do.

Tonight it's already down to 20 degrees & hubby just said "Man, I'm sure glad we have a heater." And I immediately thought about people out there that don't. It's heartbreaking.

I sincerely hope you have a wonderful holiday season. We can at least try to keep each other thankful for all we've got, right?