Friday, June 12, 2009

Weather Blues

It is always interesting to endure springtime weather in Texas. On Wednesday I was supposed to have picked up our grandson for his uncle's wedding. The weather predictions were horrific, and his mom and I decided we'd wait until Thursday to meet up. Good decision.

During the night sometime, we lost power at our house. We know it was around 3:00 a.m. because TBO's CPAP quit, and he was UP!! I didn't notice until sometime around 5:00 when I became aware of the lack of CPAP swooshes and no fan breeze. We decided after our call to report our outage to see if we could find a place for breakfast, since we are total electric, and neither of us was going to be happy without our coffee. We stumble around in the dark finding clothes and set off, find a restaurant with power and enjoy our breakfast.

TBO was a little concerned because he had not put the wedding order of service on a jump drive, and since we had no power, he had no way to do so. He had printed out a trial copy, and found that, thankfully. We both tried to sleep a little after we got home, but TBO really doesn't rest well without his CPAP. By now, I'm getting concerned about the contents of the refrigerator and freezer...not much in there, but still, I wouldn't want to replace it all.

At 11:00 we started loading the truck to make the trip to pick up the grandson and go to the wedding. It began to thunder and lightning so close that even The Queen (our ancient Yorkie who doesn't hear well)was disturbed. Before we could get it all in, the bottom fell out and before we could finish, I looked like a drowned rat. Hair and clothes were soaked, shoes were squishy, just generally nasty looking and feeling.

When we arrived at our meeting spot, we had to virtually unload the back of the truck and dry it out (we have a cover for the bed, but during the loading process lots of water got in), repack and make room for the grandson's things, etc.

By this time, TBO and I were hungry, our 6:00 a.m. breakfast has gone. We stop to grab a bite and I ran back to the restroom to wash up. There, hanging on the wall was my new best friend. A hand dryer! My hair was STILL sopping wet, and although I hadn't used one of these as a hair dryer in about 37 years, I was so excited! Dried a little of the top layer, especially the bangs which were amazingly gross looking.
When I went to college back in 1970, there were not many hand held hair dryers in Oklahoma yet. I, and many of my friends used the hand dryers in our communal bathroom to dry our hair. It was a blast from the past, I must say. I would have done more drying yesterday had there not been someone else in the restroom. Anyway, it made the drive a little less wet!

By the way, the power came back on about 2:30 yesterday afternoon. Whew!

No comments: